Wednesday, September 1, 2010

About Me and My Happiness Project

Kirby:
The first time I saw the Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin in the bookstore I read a line on the cover about trying to sing in the mornings, and like the skeptic I am, rolled my eyes and put it back.  Several months later I saw it on a bestsellers list and decided to give it a second look. 

I felt I was living a life with a lot of negativity.  I’d had a crappy few years that broke down what I once thought was a strong sense of self.  I finally feel like I’m back at a point where I’m willing to put in the effort to make myself happier.  For a long time I avoided doing things that I thought I should be doing simply because it felt fake.  Trying to be friendly and upbeat or going out of my way to attend a social event when all I felt like doing was crawling into bed and watching a movie felt fake.  I wanted to feel authentic, to do things because I had a genuine desire to do them as opposed to “you know you should”.  I thought that good times and bad times come and go and if I waited it out eventually I’d start to feel good again.  Turns out happiness isn’t like the weather, if you want a change in your life or yourself you better start making changes.  I knew I could do better and the Happiness Project gave me a system for making these changes that was attainable.  As I read through the book I thought, I could do this, I SHOULD do this.  And so I am, or we are.

Melissa and I are embarking on our own Happiness Projects, dedicating a year to living happier lives.  Each month we will add in another category of resolutions to the mix, keeping track of our progress on charts and in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment