Monday, December 20, 2010

A Social State of Mind

I’ve been thinking about what I need to go out to a social event and have a good time.  In a perfect world I’d like to go places where I was friends with or at least comfortable with no less than half of the group.  I would like to have at least one person that I know is going to stick with me most of the night that I can talk to.  I like to have an estimate of the nights schedule, when we’re going, where we’re going, are we driving or taking a cab, etc.  These things all help, but the number one thing that contributes to me enjoying myself is knowing well in advance that I will be attending a social event.

Flash and I sometimes butt heads over spending time with his friends.  With the exception of the odd guys’ night he wants me to come out with him and his friends.  Being a guy and incapable of making plans in advance they often make ‘game time decisions’ also known as last minute plans.  This makes me crazy because Flash doesn’t seem to understand that many girls, like me, can’t be ready to go out in 15 minutes.  If I’m sitting on the couch, haven’t showered so my hair isn’t washed or dried or straightened, I have no makeup on and I’m wearing sweat pants, we’re looking at an hour to get ready, minimum.  Now, had I known I was going out that evening I would’ve been physically ready to go out, dressed with hair and makeup done, but more importantly I would’ve been mentally prepared to go out.  I would have kept my energy up and my mood in check.  Knowing I would be going out allows me to put myself in a social state of mind.

I kind of feel like an old lady writing this.  What about spontaneity!?  What about those super fun unplanned nights from my youth?  The novelty and rush of spur of the moment plans, the thrill of being included, the excitement of the unknown.  Listen bitch, I am 26 years old.  I am not in high school anymore; a case of beer, a pickup truck and someone’s garage isn’t going to cut it.  Going out is a lot of work and money and I need a considerable heads up.

This month I have found myself going out to social events every weekend and the odd night during the week and for the most part it’s been good.  A lot were holiday parties that I was aware of many days in advance.  For one of the parties Flash was feeling tired and unenthusiastic about going and I, who was dressed and ready, turned to him and said “Well it’s friend month so we’re going.”  Normally I would’ve thought hooray let’s watch a movie in bed, but I had mentally committed to these plans and prepared myself to go.  So I went.

So in short, if you wanna be friends I’m going to need at least 24 hours notice.

1 comment:

  1. haha. I hear you on this. My fella is SO not a planner, and I most definitely am. It can be frustrating.

    I have been trying to get better at being more relaxed and adaptable though. I would hate to miss out on having a good time just because I hadn't planned on it!

    ReplyDelete