Thursday, March 10, 2011

Start Me Up

I have this nagging feeling that I’m going to have to re-incorporate boost energy into my happiness project, partly because Mel gives me grief over it, partly because I feel exhausted.  Why I’m so exhausted I’m not sure… I guess my new job probably has something to do with it.  Even though I’m now working hours similar to what the majority of people work it’s an increase for me.  I used to start work at 9:00 am; I now start at 7:50 am.  This means my day starts earlier and lasts longer, but I’ve been doing this for a month and I think I’ve adjusted to my new routine pretty well.  It’s not mornings that I’m struggling with as much, I actually feel quite awake when I get up, it’s the evenings.  I feel extremely burnt out when I get home.  There are probably things I could be doing, like exercising or taking vitamins.  I’ve also realized that a lot of it is in my mindset.  If I know I have things that I need to do when I get home I feel more awake.  It’s so easy to put off things that I tell myself I want to do.  It’s a constant challenge for me to keep motivated enough to follow through on things day after day.  Being accountable to yourself is hard; staying motivated is hard.  I need to learn to do things for me, and not worry about what anyone else is doing, just decide that this is how I’m spending my evening and do it, not to wait to see what the rest of the apartment is doing.  It would be nice if Melissa and I were doing the same things at the same time, but we aren’t.  I’m a planner, and though I find making plans takes a lot of energy, I know I’m not spontaneous enough to want to do spur of the moment things, I need to psych myself up, anticipate the events in order for them to work.  If I say I’ll maybe do some tutorials when I get home I won’t because when I get home I’ll be tired and will crawl into bed and read a book or watch a movie and won’t do my tutorials because I’ll tell myself to do it another day.  If I tell myself I’m doing an hour of tutorials no matter what I’ll be more likely to do it, but it’s still a challenge when you’re only accountable to yourself.
As I look at Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project Blog I see that the post is on a author who wrote a book on procrastination and how to overcome it.  A sign perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment