Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's a Bright, Bright, Bright, Sunshiney Day

Finally a day without rain!  What a difference a little sunshine makes.
I haven’t been doing very well with my long walks with Slone.  My little dog does not enjoy being cold and wet.  I did try to take her to a dog park as it was not raining for a couple hours in the afternoon.  The lack of rain was short lived. I’ve been monitoring her food intake a lot more closely.  I’ve also been monitoring Flash’s food intake as I have become the person in charge of food.

Flash has some heart issues and has been trying to work out and eat better for several a few months now.  His exercising is sporadic; he rarely hits his goal and at best usually makes it to the gym once or twice.  My frustration with the whole situation was mounting and finally after pointing out that no progress was being made we decided that he would continue to work on exercising and I would be in charge of the diet.  On the one hand I feel like I have some control over the situation, which is nice.  It sucks to feel like you’re just sitting around waiting for someone else to make changes.  I tried to encourage him, remind him, force him to go to the gym but at the end of the day my encouragement is just nagging if Flash refuses to do it.
We agreed that if I was going to go to the effort of planning almost every meal, buying healthy groceries, cooking and controlling portions that there were going to be some rules.  

Rule one: I control food and therefore my word is final 

Rule two: Any cheating on the diet will result in me losing my mind

Rule three: No pre-dinners.  Flash has a habit of eating very little throughout the day and then coming home and heating up leftovers or making a meal before we cook supper.

Rule four: Must eat throughout day.  Healthy lunch, and take some snacks to avoid pre-dinner and binge snacking.

Rule five: Maximum of one can of diet coke a day (our compromise)

We’ve just started but Flash seems to be embracing the changes.  I think he is glad to not have the responsibility and accepts that he doesn’t have the self-control to limit himself.  It will be a bit of a challenge for me as well since cooking was one of Flash’s few chores.  I’ll still have him bbq, or help in some way, but planning meals and groceries is what I find to be the hard part and that's my job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment