Friday, January 28, 2011

The Almighty Dollar

Work month has been quite the experience.  I’ve been doing my tutorials, but I haven’t always gotten in my two hours a day.  I had originally planned on catching up on what any hours I didn’t get in during the week on the weekend.  Well, I found that I much prefer to do them on my work computer AND my laptop.  I watch the tutorials on my work computer and follow along with the exercises on my laptop.  At home, I have to keep flipping back and forth on my 15” screen.  It’s annoying, and it makes the tutorials take way longer because instead of doing it at the same time as I watch I have to watch and then flip over to my program and do what I just saw.  So next week I’m buckling down and committing to getting this set of tutorials done at work.

The prospect of change can be a scary thing, dedicating this month made me opening my mind up to the possibility of working somewhere else.  It’s a nerve racking thing, the idea of quitting my job.  I have never actually quit a job before.  I left my high school job to attend university and throughout school I worked during the summers so my employer and I both knew I would be leaving when classes started in the fall.  I have always left jobs for school, I have never left a job for another job, until now.

I found a new job, or should I say Melissa found it for me.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.  On the one had there are a lot of positives about my current job, and only two negatives, but the two negatives are pretty huge.  One being that I’m not busy, not being utilized, the other that my job leaves a lot to be desired in the salary department.  The longer I work here the more I feel frustrated by not being busy because I don’t see how the salary will improve if the workload doesn’t pick up.  So I have accepted at a job at a different type of firm.  My job won’t be design it will be administrative but the pay is better.  It’s a trade off.  I feel like I’m at a point in my life where I can’t turn down a better paying job.

My current boss was very nice about the whole thing but, in the form of advice, more or less told me he thought this was a step in the wrong direction for me.  I found this to be very disheartening.  I’ve been thinking about making a change for a long time, and have always been scared to take any steps forward because I didn’t want to make a mistake.  I didn’t want to leave the design world for fear of never being able to get back into it.  It was hard to have some of my fears confirmed. 

On a less depressing note I will be starting a new job around mid February.  It’s a bigger office and it sounds like I will be a million times busier.  I also know that my supervisor/co-worker is very excited to have me working there.  It’s only a couple blocks from where I work now so my commute is pretty much the same.  My office now is pretty relaxed and flexible with a 9am start.  At my new office I’ll start at 8 and it’s much more structured.  I realize the entire world starts work at 8 or earlier, but mornings are my nemesis and it will be an adjustment for me.  I’m trying to be excited about it… but in the back of my mind I’m a bit wary.  Guess I’ll have to do something fun like buy new work clothes closer to my start date.

No comments:

Post a Comment