Monday, February 21, 2011

Speed Networking

I think I struggle a lot with questions of identity.  Living up to my expectations of myself, expectations of society.  For me, my quarter-life crisis was brought about by the disconnect I felt with where I was at in my life and where I thought I should be.  I just read a blog post on working girl asking women if their job related to their degree.  I felt a sense of dissatisfaction as I read this because I am not using my degree.  I find this particularly annoying because my degree is specialized, and I worked really hard for it.  I am currently a glorified receptionist.  This was more or less what I was doing at my last job but I'm at a bigger company now and am busier and paid better.  Both this and my last job were at design firms, but I wasn't doing any designing myself.  I would tell myself it was better to be an admin person at a design firm than an admin person for a non-design company.

I hate in cheesy movies when the person's passion is painfully obvious and they're not pursuing it for whatever reason.  Like, a girl who knows she wants to be a dancer but is scared to leave the small town family business crap.  They always portray someone's life's purpose as extremely obvious, something so compelling that it drives all joy in their life.  I don't know exactly what I want to do and I'm not sure how to figure it out.  The girl that's training me at my job is a temp, she'll go on to do another job for a couple months and then another until she leaves to travel overseas in the fall.  She joked that doing a number of temp jobs was like speed dating, that she was speed networking.  I thought to myself, how great would it be to work for a couple months working in all different facets of the design world, getting a little taste of everything.  Why aren't work placements part of design school?

No comments:

Post a Comment