Tuesday, February 21, 2012

You Better Run, Better Run

I threw around the idea of running a marathon a while ago when making my first round of goals and quickly dismissed it because it’s not something you attempt if you’re not serious about it.
I recently finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, a departure from the novels I usually read.  It was a mix of a true story, with several tangent stories of side characters and their relationship to running.  Some were ultra-marathoners themselves, researcher or trainers. 
I’d always thought of a marathon as an accomplishment goal, but I’d never thought of running a marathon in terms of running.  Why we run, what it takes, what you learn about yourself when you get your body to a point where it can run 30 miles.  Ultra marathoners run crazy long distances.  The book discusses several 50 mile and even 100 mile races.  100 miles, that’s almost 4 back to back marathons.
Cardio and I are not friends.  So to get to a point where I can run for 30 minutes or an hour already seems daunting.  There was a line in the book that said, “If you don’t have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain’t getting them.”  The idea of self-discovery at the end of a long run is intriguing. 
I’ve been thinking a lot about running.  I’ve even gone down to the little gym in my apartment building and ran a few times.  I also bought some toe shoes, also known as Vibram five fingers, and I love them.  They are seriously so fun; they make me want to run just so I can wear them. 
I downloaded some marathon training schedules.  There’s a schedule for the half marathon I found that is for three months of preparation.  At the end of February will be exactly three months until the big annual marathon(s) in my city.  I figure, train for the half, if you do well with it run the half, if not, do the 10K.

No comments:

Post a Comment